Saturday, April 6, 2013

The Preferential Ballot

It is early April, 2013 in Canada.  It feels like late February, were it not for the long spans of daylight we are enjoying.  Still a metre of snow in my yard.  Crusty, dirty, crystally snow.  Rubber boots, where are you?

Today six candidates for the leadership of the Liberal Party of Canada presented their final blast, live online.  Voting begins at midnight tonight.  I listened to all six candidates.


I am registered to vote. I am not a liberal. In fact I am an anarchist. But I am a hopeful person. We need change.

6th Presenter. Martin Couchon

Pointing his finger at the camera he addressed the current PM and said, “Canadians are gonna bring you down!”. I don't know how he got Mumford and sons as his musical theme. The site crashed so I missed the beginning of his speech. He says policy is central and presented his policy platform. 1. political reform? I forget. 2. Environment. 3. Justice. 4. Social Equity. 5. Respect culture et nos artistes. He is running in the spirit of renewal. He sees an inclusive organization and a transformed LPC. We CANnot, MUSTnot WILLnot take it anymore. He will get the current government out. He ran against Mulroney in his riding. Good speaker. Gave a good presentation of history, reminding us of our universal values.

3rd Presenter. Joyce Murray

She has a live band introducing her. Two vibe players and a drummer. World beat music. Many endorsements in her intro – Axworthy, Suzuki to name a couple. Her platform: DEFEAT HARPER. She has an MBA. Is an Environmentalist. A child immigrant from South Africa who attended Expo 67. She said selective ridings, only those whose local riding associations concur, will engage in selective candidate platforms (co-operating with Green and NDP) to assure that in those close ridings, the Conservatives will not win. Strong presenter.

4th Presenter. Justin Trudeau

Big pre-produced intro showing throngs with urban pop. Hope & Hardwork needed. This is just the start. “Let me be clear”. (ugh). He is telling us what our true values are. He's the son of Quebec and the Grandson of BC. He will “never use western resources to buy Eastern votes”. His presentation gave a sense of history and of time. Was sincere. Gave a Miigwetch at the end. Not doing it for Pierre, but for his kids. We work for the future, not from the past.

2nd Presenter. Karen McCrimmon

Strong physical presence walking, with no podium. Bagpipe intro. Stark. Female piper. Clear talker. Vet. Pilot. From the “heart” was her theme. Canada is less secure, not more secure with the focus on military. The governments policies have made Canada less secure because of the environment degradation and struggling communities. Strong with ordinariness. Excellent speaker. Many poignant stories and firm ideas.

1st Presenter. Debra Coyne

Used some song as her intro. Kind of a song of a hopeful thing. Her platform is one Canada. Good jobs, and best economy. She was the first speaker.  My remarks were fewer. Environment is important. Sincere. Clear and very professional speaker.

5th Presenter. Martha Hall Findlay

Had a soul train anthem as her intro. Really loud, poorly produced. Feel Proud. None of the voice-under said much. Good speaker. Well groomed. Cdn Designer dress, she mentioned. Declared underdog – as was PET 45 years ago today. “You know where I stand. You know where I stand. You know where I stand.” Do we? “Clear vision.” Is it? Sounded PCish. “I have been clear."  She wants better government. Did a scenario of the PM debate in 2015. Acerbic.

I am voting in the order I've listed them here. Probably for five of the six candidates.

I might have to drive to my summer home to get my PIN so I can complete ballot because I think that is the address I put on the supporters' form, and the PINs are being sent by Canada Post.  Nice support for the government corporation there.  I will drive the 3 hours.  Thanks to the LPC for letting me engage.  Today, I felt some hope.  The first in a long time.

Sorry about typos - this is a "journalistic" story... even further away from my dreamworld than the non-fiction that sometimes scatters my thoughts.  Please comment here with spelling errors and typos and I'll fix them one by own.

Miigwetch.

No comments:

Post a Comment